- the science or technique of classification.
- a classification into ordered categories: a proposed taxonomy of educational objectives.
- Biology. the science dealing with the description, identification, naming, and classification of organisms.
Origin of taxonomy
Examples from the Web for taxonomist
Contemporary Examples of taxonomist
Crawforth claims that his subject was unmatched as a taxonomist, and that his self-effacing style elevated his writing.Exploring the Amazon, While We Still Can
May 15, 2014
Historical Examples of taxonomist
Taxol′ogy, the science of classification; Taxon′omer, a taxonomist.
- the branch of biology concerned with the classification of organisms into groups based on similarities of structure, origin, etc
- the practice of arranging organisms in this way
- the science or practice of classification
Word Origin for taxonomy
Word Origin and History for taxonomist
- The classification of organisms in an ordered system that indicates natural relationships.
- The science, laws, or principles of classification; systematics.
- The scientific classification of organisms into specially named groups based either on shared characteristics or on evolutionary relationships as inferred from the fossil record or established by genetic analysis.
The classification of living things. (See Linnean classification.)