- the science or technique of classification.
- a classification into ordered categories: a proposed taxonomy of educational objectives.
- Biology. the science dealing with the description, identification, naming, and classification of organisms.
Origin of taxonomy
Related Words for taxonomydesignation, grade, analysis, arrangement, allocation, regulation, allotment, distribution, coordination, classification, glossary, locution, terminology, phraseology, codification, taxonomy, horticulture, ecology, anatomy, cytology
Examples from the Web for taxonomy
Contemporary Examples of taxonomy
Taxonomy was another major area in which Aristotle influenced the history of science.Why Aristotle Deserves A Posthumous Nobel
October 18, 2014
Beyond this taxonomy of options, the big question is this: What outcome are we seeking with any military intervention?The Best Military Option for Libya
March 18, 2011
In order to make some sense of these questions, I undertook a Taxonomy of American Ignorance and Misperceptions.Ignorant America
August 30, 2010
Historical Examples of taxonomy
"Taxonomy" does not appear to me so dreadful a word as it does to Veblen.The Value of Money
Benjamin M. Anderson, Jr.
Taxonomy of the chipmunks, Eutamias quadrivittatus and Eutamias umbrinus.
Geographic distribution and taxonomy of the chipmunks of Wyoming.
Taxonomy, the part of botany which treats of classification.The Elements of Botany
Probably few of our readers have considered the taxonomy of riddles.
- the branch of biology concerned with the classification of organisms into groups based on similarities of structure, origin, etc
- the practice of arranging organisms in this way
- the science or practice of classification
Word Origin for taxonomy
- The classification of organisms in an ordered system that indicates natural relationships.
- The science, laws, or principles of classification; systematics.
- The scientific classification of organisms into specially named groups based either on shared characteristics or on evolutionary relationships as inferred from the fossil record or established by genetic analysis.
The classification of living things. (See Linnean classification.)