- a combining form used in the names of units of measure equal to one trillion of a given base unit: terahertz.
- Computers. a combining form of like function with the value 240 (=1,099,511,627,766). Abbreviation: T
Origin of tera-
< Greek téras monster. See terato-
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- denoting 10 12terameter
- Also: tebi- denoting 2 40terabyte
Word Origin for tera-
from Greek teras monster
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
prefix used in forming large units of measure (e.g. terabyte), 1947, from Greek teras (genitive teratos) "marvel, monster."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- One trillion (1012):terahertz.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A prefix that means:
- One trillion (1012), as in terahertz, one trillion hertz.
- 240 (that is, 1,099,511,627,776), which is the power of two closest to a trillion, as in terabyte.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.