- consisting of three; arranged in threes.
- consisting of three leaflets, as a compound leaf.
- having leaves arranged in whorls of three, as a plant.
Origin of ternate
- an island in E Indonesia, W of Halmahera: important source of spices. 53 sq. mi. (137 sq. km).
Related Words for ternatethreefold, treble, triple, trilateral, ternary, third, trinitarian, trine, triangular, pyramidal, ternate, trichotomous, trigonal, trigonous, trinal, trinary, tripartite
Examples from the Web for ternate
Historical Examples of ternate
You can all lend a hand till I land you at Amboyna or Ternate.Rodman The Boatsteerer And Other Stories
We belong to the island of Ternate—our king is at war with the Portuguese, who are villains.The Phantom Ship
To avoid repetitions, I will in this chapter combine what notes I have about Ternate.The Malay Archipelago
Alfred Russell Wallace
Jussiea, with ternate leaves, abrupt and three-toothed at their extremities.Lachesis Lapponica
Carl von Linn
Trifoliolate (or ternate), of three leaflets, as the Clover; and so on.The Elements of Botany
- (esp of a leaf) consisting of three leaflets or other parts
- (esp of plants) having groups of three members