- of, relating to, or derived from shells.
- having a test or shell-like covering.
- of a brick-red, brownish-red, or brownish-yellow color.
Origin of testaceous
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for testaceous
The nature also of the ground has an important influence on the testaceous fauna, both on the land and beneath the waters.Principles of Geology
Birds of many kinds are abundant, as are fishes and testaceous animals.Audubon and his Journals, Vol. 2
Maria R. Audubon
Leptura rubra of Linn, with red elytra, is the female of his L. testacea, in which they are testaceous.
Thus, in the order Coleoptera, the elytra of the male of Rhagium meridianum F. are testaceous, and those of the female black.
This curious harmony is supposed to be produced by a species of testaceous mollusk.
- of, relating to, or possessing a test or testa
- of the reddish-brown colour of terra cotta
C17: from Latin testācens, from testa