- the process of identifying or detecting the presence of a constituent of a substance, or of determining the nature of a substance, commonly by the addition of a reagent.
- the reagent used.
- an indication or evidence of the presence of a constituent, or of the nature of a substance, obtained by such means.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
DO YOU KNOW THIS VOCABULARY FROM "THE HANDMAID'S TALE"?
Origin of test1
synonym study for test
OTHER WORDS FROM test
Words nearby test
Definition for test (2 of 4)
Origin of test2
Definition for test (3 of 4)
Definition for test (4 of 4)
Example sentences from the Web for test
If it was the United States, the operation will test the bounds of international law.
It took the entire day, but the slow pace indicated that it was probably a test to gauge public reaction.
Still other media sources are reporting that the DNA test is awaiting results.
It should be noted that LA tap water, rather than NYC's famed brand, was chosen for the test.
The 2014 midterms were a test flight for the CounterPAC model.
But his courage was at last put to a test of which he had never dreamed.Strange Stories of Colonial Days|Various
On this account he overcame his slight feeling against Mr. Dare, and put a question to test that gentleman's capacities.A Laodicean|Thomas Hardy
The test here imagined, that of concealing the eyes, would answer as little in real as in pictured life.Margaret Fuller (Marchesa Ossoli)|Julia Ward Howe
He could imagine the sort of test Galbraith had put her to before giving her a job at all.The Real Adventure|Henry Kitchell Webster
(B) Test the lifting power of the little wire magnet by seeing about how many iron filings its poles will raise.The Study of Elementary Electricity and Magnetism by Experiment|Thomas M. St. John
British Dictionary definitions for test (1 of 2)
- a chemical reaction or physical procedure for testing a substance, material, etc
- a chemical reagent used in such a procedurelitmus is a test for acids
- the result of the procedure or the evidence gained from itthe test for alcohol was positive
Derived forms of testtestable, adjectivetestability, nountesting, adjective
Word Origin for test
British Dictionary definitions for test (2 of 2)
Word Origin for test
Medical definitions for test
Idioms and Phrases with test
see acid test; put to the test.