- an investigation based on the properties of numbers.
- the discussion of a problem by algebra, as opposed to geometry.
- the branch of mathematics consisting of calculus and its higher developments.
- a system of calculation, as combinatorial analysis or vector analysis.
- a method of proving a proposition by assuming the result and working backward to something that is known to be true.Compare synthesis (def. 4).
- intentionally produced decomposition or separation of materials into their ingredients or elements, as to find their kind or quantity.
- the ascertainment of the kind or amount of one or more of the constituents of materials, whether obtained in separate form or not.Compare qualitative analysis, quantitative analysis.
Origin of analysis
OTHER WORDS FROM analysismis·a·nal·y·sis, noun, plural mis·a·nal·y·ses.o·ver·a·nal·y·sis, noun, plural o·ver·a·nal·y·ses.re·a·nal·y·sis, noun, plural re·a·nal·y·ses.
Words nearby analysis
How to use analysis in a sentence
Sediment analyses suggest ancient people reached the lake during a dry stretch when the region’s rivers and lakes were shrinking.Seven footprints may be the oldest evidence of humans on the Arabian Peninsula|Bruce Bower|September 17, 2020|Science News
The robot lives inside the silo and dives into its contents when it’s time to offer analysis.Crover’s robot swims in grain silos to monitor environmental conditions|Brian Heater|September 17, 2020|TechCrunch
That rate charged is unusually high for a rental home in the area, according to an analysis of local real estate listings.Trump’s businesses charged Secret Service more than $1.1 million, including for rooms in club shuttered for pandemic|David Fahrenthold, Josh Dawsey|September 17, 2020|Washington Post
O’Brien, appearing on CBS’s “Face the Nation” that Sunday, offered a starkly different public analysis than the one he had shared privately with the president just days earlier.Ten days: After an early coronavirus warning, Trump is distracted as he downplays threat|Ashley Parker, Josh Dawsey, Yasmeen Abutaleb|September 17, 2020|Washington Post
For this analysis, we’ll study the ten highest-market-cap tech companies in the Nasdaq 100.Will tech stocks stumble or slide? What the fundamentals tell us|Shawn Tully|September 16, 2020|Fortune
Analysis of the 2014 vote showed that Democrats had been hurt by an abrupt drop in Latino turnout.
Once successfully in, I can see my Hash 160 and Taint Analysis, among other things.
Jeff Stier is Director of the Risk Analysis Division, of the National Center for Public Policy Research.
“How the Faithful Voted: 2012 Preliminary Analysis,” at the Pew Forum.
"It could be anything," said Costin Raiu, director of Kaspersky Lab's Global Research and Analysis Team.
Analysis and practice in preparation are the steps over which we must climb to the platform of power.Expressive Voice Culture|Jessie Eldridge Southwick
Recollective Analysis, or Analysis for the purpose of helping to learn by heart, is not an originating or manufacturing process.
It is either thoughtless repetition, or thoughtful Analysis that he must use.
At all events, let him if possible learn each of the three Groups by his own Analysis, looking at my work afterwards.
Now the practice of Interrogative Analysis compels such persons to interrogate—to propose questions—to think.
British Dictionary definitions for analysis
- the decomposition of a substance into its elements, radicals, or other constituents in order to determine the kinds of constituents present (qualitative analysis) or the amount of each constituent (quantitative analysis)
- the result obtained by such a determination