- a Semitic language spoken in northern Ethiopia.
- a member of a nomadic, Tigrinya-speaking people of northern Ethiopia.
- a member of an agricultural, Tigré-speaking people of northern Ethiopia.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for tigre
Once when a Mexican tigre, a jaguar, charged me I—But that is not this story.Tales of Fishes
Wilkinson was on board, having come off with the boats with the stores from the Tigre.
The welcome order was issued for the Tigre to sail on the 1st of March.
Mr. Janverin, midshipman of the Tigre, and eleven men were wounded.
There is the Tigre fairly under way, steering south by west.
- an autonomous region of N Ethiopia, bordering on Eritrea: formerly a separate kingdom. Capital: Mekele. Pop: 4 334 996 (2005 est)
- a language of NE Ethiopia, belonging to the SE Semitic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012