- the technique of cultivating living tissue in a prepared medium outside the body.
- the tissue so cultivated.
Origin of tissue culture
First recorded in 1920–25
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the growth of small pieces of animal or plant tissue in a sterile controlled medium
- the tissue produced as a result of this process
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The technique or process of keeping tissue viable in a culture medium.
- A culture of tissue grown by this technique or process.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.