- a city in and the capital of Mexico state, in S central Mexico.
- an extinct volcano in central Mexico, in Mexico state. 15,026 feet (4580 meters).
- a republic in S North America. 761,530 sq. mi. (1,972,363 sq. km). Capital: Mexico City.
- a state in central Mexico. 8268 sq. mi. (21,415 sq. km). Capital: Toluca.
- Gulf of, Mexican Gol·fo de Mé·xi·co [gawl-faw th e me-hee-kaw] /ˈgɔl fɔ ðɛ ˈmɛ hiˌkɔ/. an arm of the Atlantic surrounded by the U.S., Cuba, and Mexico. 700,000 sq. mi. (1,813,000 sq. km); greatest depth 12,714 feet (3875 meters).
- a town in NE Missouri.
Examples from the Web for toluca
Historical Examples of toluca
Toluca has the best and largest general market which we saw in Mexico.Aztec Land
Maturin M. Ballou
Toluca is one of the more vigorous of the growing cities of the republic.
His sons were away at school, in Toluca, and were learning English.
They were approaching Toluca, the spot where the President resolved to await the enemy.The Rebel Chief
Whence did the kings of Toluca obtain the young tree, or the seed?The Romance of Natural History, Second Series
Philip Henry Gosse
- a city in S central Mexico, capital of Mexico state, at an altitude of 2640 m (8660 ft). Pop: 1 987 000 (2005 est)Official name: Toluca de Lerdo (deˈlɛrðo)
- Nevado de Toluca (neˈβaðo de) a volcano in central Mexico, in Mexico state near Toluca: crater partly filled by a lake. Height: 4577 m (15 017 ft)
- a republic in North America, on the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific: early Mexican history includes the Maya, Toltec, and Aztec civilizations; conquered by the Spanish between 1519 and 1525 and achieved independence in 1821; lost Texas to the US in 1836 and California and New Mexico in 1848. It is generally mountainous with three ranges of the Sierra Madre (east, west, and south) and a large central plateau. Official language: Spanish. Religion: Roman Catholic majority. Currency: peso. Capital: Mexico City. Pop: 116 220 947 (2013 est). Area: 1 967 183 sq km (761 530 sq miles)Official name: United Mexican States Spanish name: Méjico
- a state of Mexico, on the central plateau surrounding Mexico City, which is not administratively part of the state. Capital: Toluca. Pop: 13 096 686 (2000). Area: 21 460 sq km (8287 sq miles)
- Gulf of Mexico an arm of the Atlantic, bordered by the US, Cuba, and Mexico: linked with the Atlantic by the Straits of Florida and with the Caribbean by the Yucatán Channel. Area: about 1 600 000 sq km (618 000 sq miles)
from Spanish, from Nahuatl (Aztecan) mexihco, the name of the ancient Aztec capital.
The etymology of this is opaque. Because of the difference in vowel length, it cannot be derived from ME-TL 'maguey.' The sequence XIH also differs in vowel length from XIC-TLI 'navel,' which has been proposed as a component element. The final element is locative -C(O). [Kartunnen]