- tonic quality or condition.
- the state of bodily tone.
- Physiology. the normal elastic tension of living muscles, arteries, etc., by which the tone of the system is maintained.
Origin of tonicity
Related Words for tonicitystrength, energy, well-being, fitness, vigor, resiliency, healthiness, elasticity, health, tonus, tonicity, verdure, tone, shape, pink, constitution, fettle, euphoria, stamina, state
Examples from the Web for tonicity
Historical Examples of tonicity
The benefit derived from these various attempts to increase the tonicity of the gastric muscle is not very apparent.
His sexual organs had completely regained their tonicity and without doubt, their virility.The Biology, Physiology and Sociology of Reproduction
Winfield S. Hall
On the other hand, relaxation, while it may remove restraint, makes artistic control and tonicity impossible.The Renaissance of the Vocal Art
A given plant-tissue may exist in widely different conditions of tonicity.
There are innumerable grades of tonicity between the optimum and minimum.
- the state, condition, or quality of being tonic
- physiol another name for tonus
- Normal firmness or functional readiness in body tissues or organs.
- The sustained partial contraction of resting or relaxed muscles.
- The osmotic pressure or tension of a solution, usually relative to that of blood.