- the fertile, upper part of the soil.
- to cover (land) with topsoil.
Origin of topsoil
Related Words for topsoilland, dirt, terrain, shore, surface, coast, mud, clay, dust, turf, gravel, sand, clod, sod, muck, compost, deposit, mold, fill, marl
Examples from the Web for topsoil
Historical Examples of topsoil
If the topsoil is very poor, get some good, rich, black soil.The Library of Work and Play: Gardening and Farming.
Ellen Eddy Shaw
We start out in about a foot of topsoil, then some hard rock and then more hard rock.Operation Earthworm
The prairie vole makes a tortuous network of paths through the grass and honeycombs the topsoil with its tunnels.
In Brazil the best soil is known as terra roxa, a topsoil of red clay three or four feet thick with a gravel subsoil.All About Coffee
William H. Ukers
Bless the red-skins who bred maize, the great preserver of life and damn them for breeding maize the great destroyer of topsoil.The Syndic
- the surface layer of soil
- to spread topsoil on (land)
- to remove the topsoil from (land)
- The upper portion of a soil, usually dark colored and rich in organic material. It is more or less equivalent to the upper portion of an A horizon in an ABC soil.
The thin, rich layer of soil where most nutrients for plants are found.