- to make or become tranquil.
Also especially British, tran·quil·lise.
Origin of tranquilize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for tranquilizationmoderation, conciliation, easing, alleviation, abatement, reconciliation, settlement, solace, grant, lessening, mitigation, compromise, reparation, assuagement, restoration, accommodation, adjustment, amends, concession, mollification
Word Origin and History for tranquilization
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To make tranquil; pacify.
- To sedate or relieve of anxiety or tension by the administration of a drug.
- To become tranquil; relax.
- To have a calming or soothing effect.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.