- to rise above or go beyond; overpass; exceed: to transcend the limits of thought; kindness transcends courtesy.
- to outdo or exceed in excellence, elevation, extent, degree, etc.; surpass; excel.
- Theology. (of the Deity) to be above and independent of (the universe, time, etc.).
- to be transcendent or superior; excel: His competitiveness made him want to transcend.
Origin of transcend
Synonyms for transcendSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for transcendedoverstep, eclipse, transform, outstrip, exceed, beat, top, excel, better, outshine, outdo, best, outvie, overtop, outrival
Examples from the Web for transcended
Contemporary Examples of transcended
In both cases, there was criticism that he sidestepped race, but I would say he transcended race.A Full-Length Bill Cosby Portrait: From Track Star to Ugly Sweaters
September 24, 2014
Williams was a beloved figure -- one that transcended generations.Summer 2014 Was the Worst Ever
August 29, 2014
My feelings about the show itself, the experience of the show, it transcended my wildest dreams as a human being.From ‘Lost’ to The Rapture: Creators Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta on HBO’s ‘The Leftovers’
June 24, 2014
Game of Thrones has transcended its genre to become one of the best dramas on TV.Will Season 4 Make ‘Game of Thrones’ the Best Fantasy Show Ever?
April 2, 2014
What Kurland said he remembered most though was not an individual accolade, but a moment that transcended sport.Bob Kurland, the First Player to Dunk, Was a Pioneer for Big Men
March 21, 2014
Historical Examples of transcended
Quip had followed quip until in their jests they transcended all bounds.The Tavern Knight
At that point he had transcended the mind of the petty reformer completely.A Preface to Politics
But clearly he has not transcended ours, he has simply left it out.Appearances
Goldsworthy Lowes Dickinson
They are a people by themselves, distrustful of other peoples; they too must be transcended.Homer's Odyssey
Denton J. Snider
Matter is the vehicle of mind, but it is dominated and transcended by it.Life and Matter
- to go above or beyond (a limit, expectation, etc), as in degree or excellence
- (tr) to be superior to
- philosophy theol (esp of the Deity) to exist beyond (the material world)