- of, relating to, or containing a gene or genes transferred from another species: transgenic mice.
Origin of transgenic
First recorded in 1980–85
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (of an animal or plant) containing genetic material artificially transferred from another species
- Of, relating to, or being an organism whose genome has been altered by the transfer of a gene or genes from another species or breed:transgenic mice.
- Of or relating to the study of transgenic organisms.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Relating to an organism whose genome has been altered by the transfer of a gene or genes from another species or breed. Transgenic organisms are used in research to help determine the function of the inserted gene, while in industry they are used to produce a desired substance.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.