- of or relating to the thorax.
Also tho·ra·cal [thawr-uh-kuh l, thohr-] /ˈθɔr ə kəl, ˈθoʊr-/.
Origin of thoracic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, near, or relating to the thorax
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1650s, from Medieval Latin thoracicus, from Greek thorakikos, from thorax (see thorax).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Across or through the thoracic cavity or chest wall.
- Of, relating to, or situated in or near the thorax.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Relating to or located in or near the thorax.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.