- division into three parts, classes, categories, etc.
- an instance of such a division, as in thought, structure, or object.
- the three-part division of human beings into body, spirit, and soul.
Origin of trichotomy
1600–10; < New Latin trichotomia < Greek trích(a) in three parts + New Latin -tomia -tomy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for trichotomousthreefold, treble, triple, trilateral, ternary, third, trinitarian, trine, triangular, pyramidal, ternate, trichotomous, trigonal, trigonous, trinal, trinary, tripartite
- division into three categories
- theol the division of man into body, spirit, and soul
Word Origin for trichotomy
C17: probably from New Latin trichotomia, from Greek trikhotomein to divide into three, from trikha triple + temnein to cut
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012