- division into three parts, classes, categories, etc.
- an instance of such a division, as in thought, structure, or object.
- the three-part division of human beings into body, spirit, and soul.
Origin of trichotomy
1600–10; < New Latin trichotomia < Greek trích(a) in three parts + New Latin -tomia -tomy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- division into three categories
- theol the division of man into body, spirit, and soul
C17: probably from New Latin trichotomia, from Greek trikhotomein to divide into three, from trikha triple + temnein to cut