- anything used or serving to decorate or complete: the trimmings of a Christmas tree.
- Usually trimmings. an accompaniment or garnish to a main dish: roast turkey with all the trimmings.
- trimmings, pieces cut off in trimming, clipping, paring, or pruning.
- the act of a person or thing that trims.
- Informal. a beating or thrashing.
- Informal. a defeat: Our team took quite a trimming.
Origin of trimming
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an extra piece used to decorate or complete
- (plural) usual or traditional accompanimentsroast turkey with all the trimmings
- (plural) parts that are cut off
- (plural) dialect ornaments; decorationsChristmas trimmings
- informal a reproof, beating, or defeat
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
"adornments, accessories, etc.," 1610s, from trim (v.).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper