verb (used with object)
- to post inflammatory or inappropriate messages or comments on (the Internet, especially a message board) for the purpose of upsetting other users and provoking a response.
- to upset or provoke (other users) by posting such messages or comments.
verb (used without object)
Origin of troll1
Related formstroll·er, nounun·trolled, adjective
Can be confusedtrawl troll
Examples from the Web for troller
It seems to have been corrupted from the word "troller" by the workmen of a Kansas City car-line.
A troller's boat was rubbing against the Blanco's fenders when they came on deck again.
On this line an overhead wire was used, the travelling carriage taking the current from the wire being known as the "troller."
He drove his carrier into any nook or hole where a troller might lie waiting with a few salmon.
British Dictionary definitions for troller (1 of 2)
- to draw (a baited line, etc) through the water, often from a boat
- to fish (a stretch of water) by trolling
- to fish (for) by trolling