- a structure of four horizontally revolving arms pivoted atop a post and set in a gateway or opening in a fence to allow the controlled passage of people.
- a similar device set up in an entrance to bar passage until a charge is paid, to record the number of persons passing through, etc.
Origin of turnstile
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordsbar, fence, exit, door, port, doorway, conduit, opening, lock, passage, access, egress, portal, way, issue, gateway, slammer, weir, portcullis, turnstile
Examples from the Web for turnstile
Unfortunately Lauren is watching this entire scene wedged in the turnstile by the Maclaren.
He jumps out, goes through the turnstile, and enters the next train as it pulls into the station.
One must pass through a turnstile before these wonders are accessible.Highways & Byways in Sussex
A balanced barrier to a passage in a fort, of the nature of a turnstile.The Sailor's Word-Book
William Henry Smyth
They paid their two halfpennies at the turnstile and crossed the bridge.Sons and Lovers
David Herbert Lawrence
A railing should be built in front of the turnstile to block the passage on that side.The Boy Craftsman
A. Neely Hall
If you want to know what that means, go somewhere and watch a turnstile.The Arrow of Fire
Roy J. Snell
- a mechanical gate or barrier with metal arms that are turned to admit one person at a time, usually in one direction only
- any similar device that admits foot passengers but no large animals or vehicles
- Also called: gatepost logic a symbol of the form ̃⊢, ⊨, or ⊩, used to represent logical consequence when inserted between expressions to form a sequent, or when prefixed to a single expression to indicate its status as a theorem
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for turnstile
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper