- a supporter or adherent of a king or royal government, especially in times of rebellion or civil war.
- (initial capital letter) a Cavalier adherent of Charles I of England.
- a loyalist in the American Revolution; Tory.
- (initial capital letter) an adherent of the house of Bourbon in France.
- of or relating to royalists: royalist sympathies.
Origin of royalist
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a supporter of a monarch or monarchy, esp a supporter of the Stuarts during the English Civil War
- informal an extreme reactionary or conservativean economic royalist
- of, characteristic of, or relating to royalists
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for ultraroyalist
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper