- to present as a gift; give; confer (usually followed by on or upon): The trophy was bestowed upon the winner.
- to put to some use; apply: Time spent in study is time well bestowed.
- to provide quarters for; house; lodge.
- to put; stow; deposit; store.
Origin of bestow
Synonyms for bestow
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to present (a gift) or confer (an award or honour)
- archaic to apply (energy, resources, etc)
- archaic to house (a person) or store (goods)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper