- tending to argument or strife; quarrelsome: a contentious crew.
- causing, involving, or characterized by argument or controversy: contentious issues.
- Law. pertaining to causes between contending or opposing parties.
Origin of contentious
Synonyms for contentious
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- tending to argue or quarrel
- causing or characterized by dispute; controversial
- law relating to a cause or legal business that is contested, esp a probate matter
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for uncontentious
c.1500, from Middle French contentieux, from Latin contentiosus "obstinate, quarrelsome," from contentionem (see contend). Related: Contentiously; contentiousness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper