[ih-theer-ee-uh l]See more synonyms for ethereal on Thesaurus.com
- light, airy, or tenuous: an ethereal world created through the poetic imagination.
- extremely delicate or refined: ethereal beauty.
- heavenly or celestial: gone to his ethereal home.
- of or relating to the upper regions of space.
- Chemistry. pertaining to, containing, or resembling ethyl ether.
Also ae·the·re·al (for defs 1–4).
Origin of ethereal
1505–15;Related formse·the·re·al·i·ty, e·the·re·al·ness, noune·the·re·al·ly, adverbe·the·re·ous, adjectivenon·e·the·re·al, adjectivenon·e·the·re·al·ly, adverbnon·e·the·re·al·ness, nounnon·e·the·re·al·i·ty, nounun·e·the·re·al, adjectiveun·e·the·re·al·ly, adverbun·e·the·re·al·ness, noun
< Latin aethere(us
) (< Greek aithérios
), equivalent to aether- ether
adj. suffix + -al1
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for unethereal
Derived Formsethereality or etherealness, nounethereally, adverb
- extremely delicate or refined; exquisite
- almost as light as air; impalpable; airy
- celestial or spiritual
- of, containing, or dissolved in an ether, esp diethyl etheran ethereal solution
- of or relating to the ether
C16: from Latin aethereus, from Greek aitherios, from aithēr ether
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unethereal
1510s, "of the highest regions of the atmosphere," from ether + -al (1); extended sense of "light, airy" is from 1590s. Meaning "spiritlike, immaterial" is from 1640s. Related: Ethereally.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Related formse•the′re•al′i•ty (-ăl′ĭ-tē) null n.e•the′re•al•ly adv.
- Characterized by lightness and insubstantiality; intangible.
- Of, relating to, or containing ether.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.