- not level or flat; rough; rugged: The wheels bumped and jolted over the uneven surface.
- irregular; varying; not uniform: The book is uneven in quality.
- not equitable or fair; one-sided: an uneven contest.
- not equally balanced; not symmetrical or parallel.
- (of a number) odd; not divisible into two equal integers: The numerals 3, 5, and 7 are uneven.
Origin of uneven
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Wordshaphazardly, unequally, roughly, choppily, ruggedly, unsteadily, erratically, intermittently, chaotically, patchily
Examples from the Web for unevenly
The fact is, there are facially neutral religious rules that have been unevenly enforced for millennia.Catholic Church: Religious Freedom Trumps Civil Rights
November 23, 2014
Her T-shirts, which hang on the walls, were—I am told—originally hung too low for her liking, and too unevenly.The Cult of Blondie: Debbie Harry’s Very Special New York Picture Show
October 1, 2014
And although he has an unevenly developed spirit of savvy and an often-childlike manner, he is quick to make adjustments.Analyzing Michael Jackson's Handwriting
July 24, 2009
We were not unevenly matched considering the time and the circumstances.A Daughter of Raasay
William MacLeod Raine
He stood on an unevenly shaped wall that appeared to circle the building.Planet of the Damned
This can either be evenly divided or unevenly, as you see fit.On Yachts and Yacht Handling
Thomas Fleming Day
Her breath came quickly and unevenly, her breasts heaved and fell.The Lonely Unicorn
They jog hand in hand as unevenly as the streets on which they stand.Ways of War and Peace
- (of a surface, etc) not level or flat
- spasmodic or variable
- not parallel, straight, or horizontal
- not fairly matchedan uneven race
- archaic not equal
- obsolete unjust
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unevenly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper