- not level or flat; rough; rugged: The wheels bumped and jolted over the uneven surface.
- irregular; varying; not uniform: The book is uneven in quality.
- not equitable or fair; one-sided: an uneven contest.
- not equally balanced; not symmetrical or parallel.
- (of a number) odd; not divisible into two equal integers: The numerals 3, 5, and 7 are uneven.
Origin of uneven
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for uneven
Their uneven threads showed potential for backing out or breaking, he said.Patients Screwed in Spine Surgery ‘Scam’
The Center for Investigative Reporting
November 3, 2014
The power delivered by the rocket motor was uneven and tricky to control.Virgin Galactic’s Flight Path to Disaster: A Clash of High Risk and Hyperbole
November 1, 2014
So the dependency story is strange and uneven, and especially nasty when it comes to women.Here’s Why You Helpless Tramps Don’t Vote Republican
Elizabeth Stoker Bruenig
August 31, 2014
He uses a spatula to flatten the onions and the meat together, creating a broad circular patty with an uneven edge.The Most American Pit Stop in the U.S.A.
Jane & Michael Stern
July 21, 2014
Dad was 45, almost six years removed from a heart attack, and his deep, uneven breathing worried me.Almost Famous: A Father's Day Story
June 15, 2014
They held the most uneven part of the center, where thickets and ravines were many.The Rock of Chickamauga
Joseph A. Altsheler
He could not charge at any great speed, for the ground was steep and uneven.Ranald Bannerman's Boyhood
This clipping is what causes the uneven quality of fur which appears in his picture.Concerning Cats
Helen M. Winslow
It was a long, uneven, low building, evidently of ancient architecture.Vivian Grey
Earl of Beaconsfield, Benjamin Disraeli
She cut an uneven circle of half moons in it and put it in the oven.One Martian Afternoon
- (of a surface, etc) not level or flat
- spasmodic or variable
- not parallel, straight, or horizontal
- not fairly matchedan uneven race
- archaic not equal
- obsolete unjust