- sad; miserable; wretched: Why is she so unhappy?
- unfortunate; unlucky: an unhappy incident.
- unfavorable; inauspicious: an unhappy omen.
- infelicitous; unsuitable: an unhappy choice of words.
- Archaic. causing trouble; reprehensible; troublesome.
Origin of unhappy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for unhappy on Thesaurus.com
1. sorrowful, downcast, cheerless, distressed. 2. hapless. 3. unpropitious. 4. inappropriate, inapt.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unhappiness
“They wrote each other letters, she talking very engagingly about her life, unhappiness, and sexual desire,” Waters says.Sarah Waters: Queen of the Tortured Lesbian Romance
September 30, 2014
“And there are many people that plan on making their unhappiness known” Tuesday evening.Hacktivists: Glenn Greenwald Is a Sellout!
May 14, 2014
The low point—points really—involved real people and there was plenty of pain and unhappiness to go around.My Imaginary Literary Friends
February 23, 2014
But officials rejected the notion that the administration has not made its unhappiness with the Egyptian government clear.Obama’s Partial Aid Suspension Unlikely to Influence Egypt
October 9, 2013
Ultimately, Breaking Bad was a show about the pursuit of happiness—and the unhappiness it can cause.'Breaking Bad's' Series Finale Cements Its Status As One of the All-Time Greats
September 30, 2013
All very well to say there would be no punishment; their unhappiness was the punishment.Life and Death of Harriett Frean
Why should he efface himself, if it meant Sidney's unhappiness?K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
But her unhappiness was not because the Padres had been killed.The Trail Book
Can you possibly suppose that I was aware of her unhappiness!Lady Susan
Her letter to me admitted her error, and confessed her unhappiness; but there was no remedy.Ned Myers
James Fenimore Cooper
- not joyful; sad or depressed
- unfortunate or wretchedan unhappy fellow
- tactless or inappropriatean unhappy remark
- archaic unfavourable
Word Origin and History for unhappiness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper