[hi-stawr-i-kuh l, -stor-]
- of, pertaining to, treating, or characteristic of history or past events: historical records; historical research.
- based on or reconstructed from an event, custom, style, etc., in the past: a historical reenactment of the battle of Gettysburg.
- having once existed or lived in the real world, as opposed to being part of legend or fiction or as distinguished from religious belief: to doubt that a historical Camelot ever existed; a theologian's study of the historical Jesus.
- narrated or mentioned in history; belonging to the past.
- noting or pertaining to analysis based on a comparison among several periods of development of a phenomenon, as in language or economics.
- historic(def 1).
Origin of historical
SynonymsSee more synonyms for historical on Thesaurus.com
3. documented, authentic, factual, attested.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unhistorical
Byron's Doge is almost, if not quite, as unhistorical as his Bonivard or his Mazeppa.The Works of Lord Byron, Volume 4
It is only a play upon words to say they are "parables" for parables are not unhistorical.The Other Side of Evolution
They say your fencing is unhistorical; no doubt it is so, and you knew it.Letters to Dead Authors
Mysticism is here conceived as unethical, unhistorical, and unrational.Theology and the Social Consciousness
Henry Churchill King
As Eucken says, 'Ancient views of life bore throughout an unhistorical character.The Unity of Civilization
- belonging to or typical of the study of historyhistorical methods
- concerned with or treating of events of the pasthistorical accounts
- based on or constituting factual material as distinct from legend or supposition
- based on or inspired by historya historical novel
- occurring or prominent in history
- a less common word for historic (def. 1)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unhistorical
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper