- legally responsible: You are liable for the damage caused by your action.
- subject or susceptible: to be liable to heart disease.
- likely or apt: He's liable to get angry.
Origin of liable
Synonyms for liableSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for unliableresistant, unaffected, exempt, clear, safe, free, favored, irresponsible, licensed, privileged, protected, insusceptible, allowed, unanswerable, unliable
- legally obliged or responsible; answerable
- susceptible or exposed; subject
- probable, likely, or capableit's liable to happen soon
Word Origin for liable
Word Origin and History for unliable
mid-15c., "bound or obliged by law," probably from Anglo-French *liable, from Old French lier "to bind, tie up, fasten, tether; bind by obligation," from Latin ligare "to bind, to tie" (see ligament). With -able. General sense of "exposed to" (something undesirable) is from 1590s. Incorrect use for "likely" is attested by 1886.