Also especially British, me·tab·o·lise.
Origin of metabolize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to bring about or subject to metabolism
Word Origin and History for unmetabolized
1887 (transitive), 1934 (intransitive), from Greek metabole "a change" (see metabolism) + -ize. Related: Metabolized; metabolizing.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- To subject to metabolism.
- To produce by metabolism.
- To undergo change by metabolism.
- To subject a substance to metabolism or produce a substance by metabolism.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.