- to become oxidized.
- (especially of white wine) to lose freshness after prolonged exposure to air and often to darken in color.
Origin of oxidize
Examples from the Web for unoxidized
Historical Examples of unoxidized
The unoxidized minute traces of sugar signified imperfect combustion.Schenk's Theory: The Determination of Sex
Samuel Leopold Schenk
Deeper down in the earth comes the unoxidized zone which continues indefinitely.An African Adventure
Isaac F. Marcosson
It is only the unoxidized pale greenish stuff that can act as the dye, the dark brown itself has no affinity for the wool.Vegetable Dyes
Ethel M. Mairet
In calculating the available energy, correction is made for the unoxidized residue, as urea and allied forms.Human Foods and Their Nutritive Value
- to undergo or cause to undergo a chemical reaction with oxygen, as in formation of an oxide
- to form or cause to form a layer of metal oxide, as in rusting
- to lose or cause to lose hydrogen atoms
- to undergo or cause to undergo a decrease in the number of electronsCompare reduce (def. 12c)
- To combine with oxygen; change into an oxide.
- To increase the positive charge or valence of an element by removing electrons.
- To undergo or cause to undergo oxidation.