- not professional; not pertaining to or characteristic of a profession.
- at variance with or contrary to professional standards or ethics; not befitting members of a profession, as language, behavior, or conduct.
- not belonging to a profession; nonprofessional.
- not done with professional competence, as a play staged or an opera performed by amateurs; amateurish.
- Sports. nonprofessional(def 2).
- a person who is not a professional; amateur.
Origin of unprofessional
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unprofessionalism
Contemporary Examples of unprofessionalism
But the woman who did handle it has been under a storm of Internet outrage over her seeming callousness and unprofessionalism.Amanda Berry’s 911 Dispatcher Under Fire for Blasé Response
May 7, 2013
- contrary to the accepted code of conduct of a profession
- not belonging to or having the required qualifications for a profession
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper