- to reply or answer in words: to respond briefly to a question.
- to make a return by some action as if in answer: to respond generously to a charity drive.
- to react favorably.
- Physiology. to exhibit some action or effect as if in answer; react: Nerves respond to a stimulus.
- to correspond (usually followed by to).
- Bridge. to make a response.
- to say in answer; reply.
Origin of respond
Synonyms for respond
Examples from the Web for unresponding
Historical Examples of unresponding
Why should he be as entombed and unresponding as if the screws were in the lid?The Bell in the Fog and Other Stories
He bent over and lightly kissed her closed, unresponding lips.The Lions of the Lord
Harry Leon Wilson
She was mystically happy in the incomparable marvel of the miracle, and in her care of the dull, unresponding man.The Pretty Lady
Arnold E. Bennett
"I done like dem ole times de best," ventures Peter, presently, to his unresponding companion.Strangers and Wayfarers
Sarah Orne Jewett
And she kissed her warmly, not seeming to notice the averted eyes and the unresponding lips.Not Quite Eighteen
- to state or utter (something) in reply
- (intr) to act in reply; reactto respond by issuing an invitation
- (intr foll by to) to react favourablythis patient will respond to treatment
- an archaic word for correspond
- architect a pilaster or an engaged column that supports an arch or a lintel
- Christianity a choral anthem chanted in response to a lesson read at a church service