- not settled; not fixed or stable; without established order; unorganized; disorganized: an unsettled social order; still unsettled in their new home.
- continuously moving or changing; not situated in one place: an unsettled life.
- wavering or uncertain, as in opinions or behavior; unstable; erratic: an unsettled state of mind.
- not populated or settled, as a region: an unsettled wilderness.
- undetermined, as a point at issue; undecided; doubtful: After many years the matter was still unsettled.
- not adjusted, closed, or disposed of, as an account, estate, or law case.
- liable to change; inconstant; variable: unsettled weather.
Origin of unsettled
Synonyms for unsettledSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for unsettled
Related Words for unsettlednessnervousness, anxiety, agitation, insomnia, disquiet, jitters, uneasiness, ferment, instability, turmoil, unrest, turbulence, edginess, disturbance, ailment, disquietude, restiveness, activity, hurry, inquietude
Examples from the Web for unsettledness
Historical Examples of unsettledness
But the repose he sought he scarce for an hour realized.-36- Undreamed-of turmoil kept him in a whirl of unsettledness.Literary New York
It would have been dismal to add idleness and unsettledness to the discouragement caused by such a beginning of our voyage.Retrospect of Western Travel, Volume I (of 2)
To this the humane liberal retorts: The unsettledness of many is only your product, Philistine!The Ego and His Own
It is, however, an unsettledness very unlike that of the earlier time.Change in the Village
(AKA George Bourne) George Sturt
In the language of the clergy of the time, she "had a degree of unsettledness and defect of understanding."The Little Manx Nation - 1891
- lacking order or stabilityan unsettled era
- unpredictable; uncertainan unsettled climate
- constantly changing or moving from place to placean unsettled life
- (of controversy, etc) not brought to an agreed conclusion
- (of debts, law cases, etc) not disposed of
- (of regions, etc) devoid of settlers