- to make sweet, as by adding sugar.
- to make mild or kind; soften.
- to lessen the acridity or pungency of (a food) by prolonged cooking.
- to reduce the saltiness of (a food or dish) by diluting with water, milk, or other liquid.
- to make (the breath, room air, etc.) sweet or fresh, as with a mouthwash, spray, etc.
- (in musical recording) to add musical instruments to (an arrangement), especially strings for a lusher sound.
- to make (the stomach, soil, etc.) less acidic, as by means of certain preparations, chemicals, etc.
- to remove sulfur and its compounds from (oil or gas).
- to enhance the value of (loan collateral) by including additional or especially valuable securities.
- to add to the value or attractiveness of (any proposition, holding, etc.).
- to add more liquor to (an alcoholic drink).
- Poker. to add stakes to (a pot) before opening.
Origin of sweeten
Related Words for unsweetenedsour, harsh, astringent, acid, tart, acerbic, acrid, acerb, absinthian, unsweetened, vinegary
Examples from the Web for unsweetened
Contemporary Examples of unsweetened
And its unsweetened varieties can be very hydrating (assuming you like its unique taste).10 Ways to Stay Hydrated (That Aren’t Water)
July 25, 2014
Historical Examples of unsweetened
It consisted only of a pie with unsweetened curds and some milk soup.The House with the Mezzanine and Other Stories
At intervals, he drank great cupfuls of unsweetened, black coffee.The Octopus
If to be served with unsweetened cream, put cup of sugar in pudding.The Laurel Health Cookery
Evora Bucknum Perkins
Undiluted, unsweetened, evaporated milk may be used in place of cream.Better Meals for Less Money
It is best for him to cultivate a taste for unsweetened or even acid drinks.
- not having any added sugar or other sweeteners
- (also intr) to make or become sweet or sweeter
- to mollify or soften (a person)
- to make more agreeable
- (also intr) chem to free or be freed from unpleasant odours, acidic or corrosive substances, or the like
- finance, mainly US to raise the value of (loan collateral) by adding more securities
- informal poker to enlarge (the pot) by adding chips