Origin of thematic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, relating to, or consisting of a theme or themes
- linguistics denoting a word that is the theme of a sentence
- denoting a vowel or other sound or sequence of sounds that occurs between the root of a word and any inflectional or derivational suffixes
- of or relating to the stem or root of a word
- grammar a thematic vowel``-o-'' is a thematic in the combining form ``psycho-''
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for unthematic
1690s, from Greek thematikos, from thema (see theme). Related: Thematically.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper