- (used with a singular verb) the systematic treatment of magnitude, relationships between figures and forms, and relations between quantities expressed symbolically.
- (used with a singular or plural verb) mathematical procedures, operations, or properties.
Origin of mathematics
Related Words for mathematicscalculation, calculus, geometry, math, algebra, division, addition, multiplication, subtraction, numbers, trigonometry
Examples from the Web for mathematics
Contemporary Examples of mathematics
The two scientific stories resort to the equivalent of Mathematics for Dummies andPhysics for Dummies.Why Can’t Movies Capture Genius?
December 14, 2014
“I think Sex Ed is equally, if not more, important than mathematics or English,” says Reign.The Next Frontier of Sex Ed: How Porn Twists Teens’ Brains
November 29, 2014
Muslims made many discoveries in mathematics, chemistry, physics, medicine, astronomy and psychology.‘Gods of Suburbia’: Dina Goldstein’s Arresting Photo Series on Religion vs. Consumerism
November 8, 2014
And you can find it in any college in the country: the mathematics of monsters.The Math That Keeps Helping College Rapists
October 3, 2014
One old soldier is on the path to a doctorate in mathematics and another is a trained underwater welder.Memorial Days After Mourning Has Passed
May 25, 2014
Historical Examples of mathematics
I was dreadfully dull at mathematics, but I wouldn't see it.The Harbor
Taxation is a problem in mathematics and national economics.War Taxation
Otto H. Kahn
Still, mathematics admit of other applications, as the Pythagoreans say, and we agree.The Republic
But he has hitherto been unable to make the transition from mathematics to metaphysics.Theaetetus
These, and music and mathematics, are the chief parts of his education.Laws
- (functioning as singular) a group of related sciences, including algebra, geometry, and calculus, concerned with the study of number, quantity, shape, and space and their interrelationships by using a specialized notation
- (functioning as singular or plural) mathematical operations and processes involved in the solution of a problem or study of some scientific field
Word Origin for mathematics
Word Origin and History for mathematics
- The study of the measurement, relationships, and properties of quantities and sets, using numbers and symbols. Arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and calculus are branches of mathematics.