See more synonyms for useful on Thesaurus.com
- being of use or service; serving some purpose; advantageous, helpful, or of good effect: a useful member of society.
- of practical use, as for doing work; producing material results; supplying common needs: the useful arts; useful work.
Origin of useful
Related formsuse·ful·ly, adverbuse·ful·ness, nounun·use·ful, adjectiveun·use·ful·ly, adverbun·use·ful·ness, noun
First recorded in 1585–95; use
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for use-fully
- able to be used advantageously, beneficially, or for several purposes; helpful or serviceable
- informal commendable or capablea useful term's work
Derived Formsusefully, adverbusefulness, noun
- Australian informal an odd-jobman or general factotum
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for use-fully
1590s, from use (n.) + -full. Related: Usefully; usefulness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper