[ val-uh ns, vey-luh ns ]
/ ˈvæl əns, ˈveɪ ləns /


a short curtain or piece of drapery that is hung from the edge of a canopy, from the frame of a bed, etc.
a short ornamental piece of drapery placed across the top of a window.

Nearby words

  1. val.,
  2. vala,
  3. valadon,
  4. valadon, suzanne,
  5. valais,
  6. valcour island,
  7. valdai hills,
  8. valdemar,
  9. valdemar i,
  10. valdemar ii

Origin of valance

1400–50; late Middle English; perhaps after Valence, French city noted for cloth-making

Related formsval·anced, adjective

Can be confusedvalance valence Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019

Examples from the Web for valanced

  • Hamlet having just told the player that his face is valanced, is playing upon the word beard.

    Hamlet|William Shakespeare

British Dictionary definitions for valanced


/ (ˈvæləns) /


a short piece of drapery hung along a shelf, canopy, or bed, or across a window, to hide structural detail
Derived Formsvalanced, adjective

Word Origin for valance

C15: perhaps named after Valence, France, town noted for its textiles

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Word Origin and History for valanced



piece of drapery, mid-15c., from Anglo-French *valance, from valer "go down," variant of Old French avaler; or possibly from the plural of Old French avalant, from present participle of avaler "go down." The notion is of something "hanging down."

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper