- velvet or a substance resembling it.
- a hatter's pad of velvet, plush, or the like for smoothing or dressing silk hats.
- to smooth or dress (a hat) with a velure.
Origin of velure
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for velure
Velure, vel′ūr, n. velvet: a silk or plush pad for smoothing or giving lustre to silk hats—also Velours (ve-loor′).
- velvet or a similar fabric
- a hatter's pad, used for smoothing silk hats
C16: from Old French velour, from Old French velous; see velour