- a verbal expression, as a word or phrase.
- the way in which something is worded; choice of words; phrasing.
- a phrase or sentence having little or no meaning.
- a use of words considered as predominating over or obscuring ideas or reality; verbiage.
Origin of verbalism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for verbalism
Verbalism demands a set form used with irreproachable skill.Instigations
- a verbal expression; phrase or word
- an exaggerated emphasis on the importance of words by the uncritical acceptance of assertions in place of explanations, the use of rhetorical style, etc
- a statement lacking real content, esp a cliché
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012