- statistics concerning human life or the conditions affecting human life and the maintenance of population.
- Facetious. the measurements of a woman's figure, especially the bust, waist, and hips.
Origin of vital statistics
1830–40; 1940–45 for def 2
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- quantitative data concerning human life or the conditions and aspects affecting it, such as the death rate
- informal the measurements of a woman's bust, waist, and hips
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for vital statistics
1837, with reference to birth, marriage, death, etc.; meaning "a woman's bust, waist, and hip measurements" is from 1952. See vital.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Statistics concerning the important events in human life, such as births, deaths, marriages, and migrations.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.