- one of a people inhabiting chiefly the southern and southeastern parts of Belgium and adjacent regions in France.
- the French dialect spoken by the Walloons.
- of or relating to the Walloons or their language.
Origin of Walloon
Examples from the Web for walloon
Historical Examples of walloon
And that was why he replaced the Walloon and Flemish workmen by naturalized Germans!Two Daring Young Patriots
W. P. Shervill
"In sight of a stone like that, no Walloon dare come," said the Saxon.Harold, Complete
The reformation had entered the Netherlands by the Walloon gate.History of the United Netherlands, 1586-89, Vol. II. Complete
John Lothrop Motley
This is the Walloon country, through which runs the Meuse, the river of romance.
Such was the Walloon country, as we saw it in our journeyings.
- a member of a French-speaking people living chiefly in S Belgium and adjacent parts of FranceCompare Fleming 1
- the French dialect of Belgium
- of, relating to, or characteristic of the Walloons or their dialect