- simple past tense and past participle of understand.
- agreed upon; known in advance; assented to: It is the understood policy of this establishment to limit credit.
- implied but not stated; left unexpressed: The understood meaning of a danger sign is “Do not approach.”
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for well-understood
Perhaps this was the result of his well-understood shrewdness.The Golden Woman
In response to the universal and well-understood call of "next!"The Spy of the Rebellion
But when the war was over, general emancipation became a well-understood reality.
I said useless in the well-understood and usual sense, as meaning, inapplicable to the service of the body.The Stones of Venice, Volume I (of 3)
No, for these enlist for a specified and well-understood term, and can retire without reproach when the term is up.Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete
Albert Bigelow Paine
- widely or sufficiently understood or comprehended
- the past tense and past participle of understand
- implied or inferred
- taken for granted; assumed