- purlieus, environs or neighborhood.
- a place where one may range at large; confines or bounds.
- a person's haunt or resort.
- an outlying district or region, as of a town or city.
- a piece of land on the edge of a forest, originally land that, after having been included in a royal forest, was restored to private ownership, though still subject, in some respects, to the operation of the forest laws.
Origin of purlieu
Related Words for purlieuperiphery, boundary, edge, outskirts, fringe, environs, neighborhood, district, area, locale, vicinity, hangout, haunt
Examples from the Web for purlieu
Historical Examples of purlieu
Hamlyn's Purlieu had never known such gaieties as during the fifteen years of Mrs. Allerton's married life.
A great fear seized her that it would be impossible to keep Hamlyn's Purlieu, and she was stricken with panic.
Fred Allerton could see the great old elms that surrounded Hamlyn's Purlieu; and his eyes were fixed steadily upon them.
Each forest was surrounded by its "purlieu," or belt of pasturage, for the deer to graze in.A History of Police in England
W. L. Melville Lee
The girl was brought up among exiles and political criminals in the purlieu of Montmartre.Carnac's Folly, Complete
- English history land on the edge of a forest that was once included within the bounds of the royal forest but was later separated although still subject to some of the forest laws, esp regarding hunting
- (usually plural) a neighbouring area; outskirts
- (often plural) a place one frequents; haunt
- rare a district or suburb, esp one that is poor or squalid