[hwawr-fij, wawr-]See more synonyms for wharfage on Thesaurus.com
- the use of a wharf: to charge higher rates for wharfage.
- storage of goods at a wharf: conditions that make wharfage hazardous.
- the charge or payment for the use of a wharf: to pay one's wharfage monthly.
- wharves collectively, especially the number of wharves in a particular port.
Origin of wharfage
late Middle English
word dating back to 1425–75;
see origin at wharf
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for wharfage
- accommodation for ships at wharves
- a charge for use of a wharf
- wharves collectively
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012