- requiring that guests wear formal attire, especially that men wear white bow ties with formal evening dress: a white-tie embassy reception.
Origin of white-tie
First recorded in 1950–55
- formal evening dress for men (distinguished from black tie).
- a white bow tie for men, worn with formal evening dress.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a white bow tie worn as part of a man's formal evening dress
- formal evening dress for men
- (as modifier)a white-tie occasion