- requiring that guests wear semiformal attire, especially that men wear black bow ties with tuxedos or dinner jackets: a black-tie dance.
Origin of black-tie
- a black bow tie, worn with a dinner jacket.
- semiformal evening wear for men (distinguished from white tie).
Origin of black tie
Examples from the Web for black-tie
Contemporary Examples of black-tie
As Margaret Lyons writes, “This wasn't an awards ceremony so much as a black-tie celebration of the straight white male gaze.”Juvenile Misogynist Seth MacFarlane Is Not Funny
June 3, 2014
People are constantly shown wearing white tie to black-tie occasions and vice versa.History Wrong in Weinstein's New Madonna Movie ‘W.E.’
February 6, 2012
Indeed, the social season in Palm Beach is a busy one, with a black-tie gala every night through spring.Who Is Brooke Mueller?
March 6, 2011
Movie stars and producers turned out in force for the black-tie affair.The White House Goes Glam
November 24, 2009
The black-tie crowd at the New York Hilton roared with delight.Caroline Kennedy's Next Move
May 5, 2009
- a black bow tie worn with a dinner jacket
- (modifier) denoting an occasion when a dinner jacket should be worn