- a city in and the capital of Manitoba, in S Canada, on the Red River.
- Lake, a lake in S Canada, in Manitoba. About 260 miles (420 km) long; about 9300 sq. mi. (24,085 sq. km).
- a river in S Canada, flowing NW from the Lake of the Woods to Lake Winnipeg. About 200 miles (320 km) long.
- a province in central Canada. 246,512 sq. mi. (638,466 sq. km). Abbreviation: Man. Capital: Winnipeg.
- Lake, a lake in the S part of this province. 120 miles (195 km) long; 1817 sq. mi. (4705 sq. km).
Examples from the Web for winnipeg
CEO of the Winnipeg Humane Society, Bill McDonald, told CBC that videos of Arturo swaying side to side are alarming.More Bad Luck For Depressed Polar Bear
July 23, 2014
Only once did he stray far enough to buy his mother a pillowcase with “Winnipeg” on it.
One night late that summer they put him aboard the sleeper for Winnipeg, and when he got off he asked for the Marlborough Hotel.
They will travel to Charlottetown, Bonshaw and Cornwall in Prince Edward Island and Winnipeg in Manitoba during the tour.Camilla Carries On After Brother's Death
May 19, 2014
I'm flying this AM out of Winnipeg after a speech at the university there.Why Won't I Tell the 'Truth' About the Bilderberg Meetings?
March 7, 2013
He was not capable of carrying it out to Winnipeg by himself.Murder Point
After that I shall go into Winnipeg and set the law in motion.
He had practically admitted his authorship of the notice in the Winnipeg paper.
Just for delivering a letter to the chief of police in Winnipeg.
Winnipeg (35,000) is destined to be the centre of the great inland trade of Canada.Up To Date Business
- a city in S Canada, capital of Manitoba at the confluence of the Assiniboine and Red Rivers: University of Manitoba (1877) and University of Winnipeg (1871). Pop: 626 685 (2001)
- Lake Winnipeg a lake in S Canada, in Manitoba: drains through the Nelson River into Hudson Bay. Area: 23 553 sq km (9094 sq miles)
- a province of W Canada: consists of prairie in the southwest, with extensive forests in the north and tundra near Hudson Bay in the northeast. Capital: Winnipeg. Pop: 1 170 268 (2004 est). Area: 650 090 sq km (251 000 sq miles)Abbreviation: MB
- Lake Manitoba a lake in W Canada, in S Manitoba: fed by the outflow from Lake Winnipegosis; drains into Lake Winnipeg. Area: 4706 sq km (1817 sq miles)
Word Origin and History for winnipeg
originally the name of the lake, probably from Ojibwa (Algonquian) winipeg "dirty water;" cf. winad "it is dirty." Etymologically related to Winnebago.
Canadian province, named for the lake, which was named for an island in the lake; from Algonquian manitou "great spirit."